Report submitted October 26 @ 8:36pm local (Chile Day 10 )
by Henry Worsley
Audio report submitted @ 10pm local
by Kev Johnson
The problem we are facing at the moment is how to get the Ilyushin aircraft (pictured below) to land on a 3km long x 85m wide strip of sheet ice. The heavy snowfall at Union Glacier requires the strip to be constantly cleared by machines and the wind is currently too strong to allow clear visibility….and there is low cloud.
However, the highly reliable weather man in the ALE office is forecasting a window of low wind, good visibility and higher cloud level for Friday which will hopefully clear the first group of passengers. Then it is our turn – but probably not until at least Saturday.
So, we edge closer to the Antarctic continent, but she will only allow us in when she is ready. Until then…we wait.
LISTEN TO THE AUDIO REPORT
Can’t see the audio player? Download the audio as an MP3
(Click to open directly or right-click and choose “save target or “save link as”)